Published: January 2016
Highlights in this issue include a conversation with Prof Nick Reed and dossiers on the Selex ES Falco UAV and RCV Engines DF70. An insight into SLAM, show reports from DSEI, CUAV Expo, InterDrone and the CUAV Show. As well as focus articles covering fuel cells and sense and avoid systems.
- Intro - Establishing race series that showcase alternative technologies for unmanned craft is a chance not to be missed
- Platform one: Mission-critical info - Researchers building small UAVs for monitoring bad weather, camera for agricultural applications launched, Lidar system manufacturer set to drive down prices, and much more
- In conversation: Prof Nick Reed - Academy Director at the UK’s Transport Research Laboratory discusses its range of autonomous vehicles projects
- Dossier: Selex ES Falco UAV - We take an in-depth look at this Italian UAV and its exceptional vision capabilities
- UST online - Highlights of what’s new and most popular on our sister UST website, plus details of the Supplier Directory
- Focus: Sense and avoid systems - We report on the technological challenges of enabling UAVs to sense and avoid obstacles and other aircraft
- Dossier: RCV Engines DF70 - This rotary valve four-stroke brings fresh thinking to the UAV engine market – how was it developed?
- Show report: DSEI - Our round-up of some of the highlights from the 2015 Defence and Security Equipment International exhibition
- Focus: Fuel cells - We bring you up to date on developments in fuel cell technologies, and the promise they hold for unmanned systems
- Show reports: CUAV Expo, InterDrone and CUAV Show - Our review of some of the more interesting developments announced at these US and UK shows
- Insight: SLAM - How simultaneous localisation and mapping will allow unmanned systems to navigate around unfamiliar areas
- PS: 5G networks - We explain how these mobile comms networks will allow a leap in data transmission rates and with far tighter security