The accuracy and reliability of Fiber Optic Gyro (FOG)-based inertial systems for autonomous vehicle navigation and safety has been established over millions of miles of testing in hundreds of prototype vehicles.
The challenge now will be how to make these sophisticated sensors cost-effective and available in the quantities needed by this emerging market.
Inertial systems supplier KVH has released an eBook titled Advantages of Photonic Chip Technology in Inertial Systems, which explores:
- The current state of autonomous vehicle navigation
- Roadblocks to safe, affordable autonomy
- The critical role of fiber optics in autonomous navigation
- The introduction of photonic chip technology
- The benefits of photonic chip-based FOGs and inertial sensors