Rockwell Collins has unveiled a new simulation and training center of excellence in Burgess Hill, West Sussex, U.K. The company combined its operation located in Horsham, U.K., a facility gained through the acquisition of Evans & Sutherland in 2006, into its Burgess Hill facility, a facility added with the acquisition of SEOS in 2008.
The newly integrated operation will design, develop, manufacture and deliver high-fidelity, high-contrast, display and projector systems for use in highly immersive simulation and training applications for commercial and military aviation, call-for-fires scenarios, unmanned aircraft control and operations, and ground vehicle operations and maintenance. The Burgess Hill operation will also be a focal point for presenting Rockwell Collins’ wide range of simulation and training systems from across the company to its customers in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EuMEA).
“The creation of this center of excellence in EuMEA is another step toward achieving our vision of growing our simulation and training solutions business through a multipronged strategy,” said LeAnn Ridgeway, vice president and general manager, Simulation and Training Solutions, Rockwell Collins. “We are acquiring the right capabilities, continuing to invest in research and development, expanding globally, working with partners and applying our expertise in integration so that we work together as one cohesive system.”
“We are reinforcing our business capabilities in the EuMEA region by specializing our major sites by technology domains,” added Claude Alber, vice president and managing director for the EuMEA region. “The opening of this integrated center for simulation and training solutions will allow us to address customers in the region with increased efficiency and agility.”
An open house and technology demonstration being held Nov 4-7, 2013, is showcasing the enhanced facility configured to accommodate additional staff, resources, and demonstration suites and will feature more than 20 innovative technology demonstrations, such as:
- Live Virtual Constructive (LVC): A growing trend in reducing training costs while providing the most realistic training experiences, LVC is the future of training. Coordinated with its U.S. facility, customers, partners and media can see LVC demonstrations with live and virtual assets performing real time missions.
- Introducing RealFires™: Rockwell Collins’ latest simulator is fully integrated with its FireStorm™ targeting system and facilitates command, control and communications for field training of Tactical Air Control Parties (TACP), Air Support Operations Centers (ASOC), Air Liaison Officers (ALO) and Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) operators.
- Griffin™ Rear Projected Dome: Used for training pilots of the Joint Strike Fighter, the Griffin real image display system is a high resolution rear projected dome that gives exceptional image contrast across multiple channels.
- Panorama™ Display System: Developed in the Burgess Hill facility, Panorama is a collimated display system designed for use on simulators requiring a wide field of view, cross-cockpit views and side-by-side crew seating.
- Introducing ProSim™ ultra high contrast projector: This latest generation projector offers unprecedented contrast, constant and lifetime brightness, dynamic range and black levels essential for full-capability simulation training.