Tyto Robotics has released an article detailing an optimization process for extending the flight time and lift capacity of UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles). While the article focuses on multirotor drone platforms, many of the concepts presented also apply to fixed-wing aircraft.
The article covers:
- Basic concepts of multirotor drone flight
- Definitions and equations for propeller efficiency
- How to select and test propellers based on manufacturer data
- How to choose the most efficient motor for your particular propellers and drone
- Selecting an ESC (electronic speed controller)
- Calculating the flight time based on weight, battery parameters and propeller efficiency
To find out more about component selection, testing and calculations for enhancing the lift capacity and flight time of your multirotor drone, read the full article on Tyto Robotics’ website here.