Aerobits, a developer of miniature avionics technologies for unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), has announced the introduction of the TIM-SC1, a module designed for detect-and-avoid systems for small UAVs. The miniature system (23.0 x 18.0 x 2.5mm, 2g), which Aerobits claims is the world’s smallest ADS-B implementation in its price range, features a combination of a multi-core processor and FPGA support.
The FPGA-in-the-Loop technology allows the TIM-SC1 to undertake high-speed data processing, comparable to professional, ground-based stations. The TIM-SC1 is ideal for UAV applications such as mobile air traffic information and surveillance.
Features of the TIM-SC1 include:
- High-resolution ADC with real-time signal processing based on an adaptive algorithm; best-in-class aircraft tracking
- ADS-B and Mode-S with a capability of receiving thousands of frames per second
- RF power measurement for each frame (useful for distance estimation in case of Mode-S)
- High sensitive front-end with ranges over 200 miles
- Simple module integration – programming using high-speed UART and AT commands
- Scalable OEM solution with enormous customization potential
- High-speed memory interface for data storage
- GNSS (NMEA) input for dynamic calculations of relative distances to the aircraft