FlightWave Aerospace Systems, Inc., a California-based startup, has revealed the FlightWave Edge™ Unmanned Aerial System (UAS). The FlightWave Edge™ UAS is a long-range, high-endurance, vertical take-off platform, designed to bring new capabilities to customers who need a sustained aerial presence in high-wind, maritime, or terrestrial missions. The innovative design includes independent tilt rotors to take the aircraft from VTOL tricopter to fixed-wing hybrid.
Its distinguishing features include:
- Easy to Use: No nets, no catapults, and no cumbersome ground equipment. The Edge™’s quick, tool-free assembly, payload swapping, and click-to-fly touchscreen tablet controller mean users are flying, vertically or horizontally, in a few minutes.
- Autonomy: Easy-to-use, automated flight planning with touchscreen controller for most applications with manual piloting available for pros who want it.
Great Endurance: Enjoy two+ hours continuous flight time in cruise and up to 100 km range per charge.
- All-weather: Weather resistant and wind rejection up to 40 knots means very few days on the ground.
- Versatile: Transform from tri-copter to forward flight automatically in seconds.
- Swappable Payloads: Easily integrate standard or custom payloads, thanks to the swappable twist-lock payload bay.
- Portability: The Edge™ quickly breaks down for stowing and transporting in its case to go anywhere.
- Sustainable: The Edge™ is all-electric, highly efficient, and optionally leverages solar power for increased range and endurance.
“We’re in the UAS business to make a difference,” said FlightWave CMO Edmund Cronin. “The Edge™ is a serious tool for challenging missions that require long range, long endurance, and all-environment reliability. This aircraft is no toy. It provides budget-sensitive capabilities that enable customers to achieve their mission for less money. The Edge™ is ideal for mapping, remote patrol and surveillance, ecosystem monitoring, and other scenarios calling for affordable, long-range eyes in the sky.”
Open Source Payload Development Kit
FlightWave invites partners and customers to get their own vision in the air quickly and easily by participating in the company’s Payload Partner Program — an initiative to open-source an integration kit for the Edge™’s payload/nosecone.
“The Edge™ isn’t just a drone: it’s an airborne development platform. FlightWave is the only company with an open-source platform to integrate new sensors,” said Cronin. “Some clients will design something so personally suited, so unique, that we may only make it once. Other designs will excite the whole marketplace and, once certified, will be made publicly available in our store. We know we’ll be surprised — and likely inspired — by what new sensors our partners design to fly”.
The Edge™ will make its debut September 6–8, 2017, at InterDrone in Las Vegas.