Teledyne e2v, part of the Teledyne Imaging Group, has announced the release of a new image sensor package, the CIS120. The new image detector has been designed as an easy-to-use general-purpose imager for harsh aerospace environments such as unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).
Key specifications of the CIS120 include a resolution of 2048 x 2048, and back-illuminated 10µm square pixels with a quantum efficiency of 90% at 550 nm (typical) providing excellent low light sensitivity. The sensor offers both a rolling shutter mode with a frame rate of 30 fps (8 bit) and a global shutter mode with a frame rate of 20 fps (12 bit). A combination of low readout noise and on-chip analog-to-digital conversion provides excellent image quality.
Key features include:
- Good latch-up immunity and high SEU threshold by design and is resistant to ionising radiation by process choice
- Pixel read timing is set by an on-chip sequencer to simplify use and to reduce pin count
- A column parallel ADC is used to quantize each row of pixels in turn and is controlled by its own sequencer
- Resolution can be set anywhere from 8 to 14 bits
- Four LVDS channels output the image data and are controlled by the readout sequencer to scan along each row in turn. Two LVDS synchronisation channels allow accurate data sampling
- All configuration settings are programmed over an SPI. This includes shutter mode, ADC resolution and bias current values
- Package options include ceramic PGA and metal and ceramic three-side butting designs for use in mosaic focal planes
- CIS120 is stitched, so other sizes are possible from 2048 × 1024, up to 2048 × 8192 pixels, without the cost of new masks as well as other customer-specific requirements such as anti-reflective coatings