Advanced Navigation has released an article explaining how quantum sensing technology could be used to improve the position accuracy of inertial navigation systems (INS), particularly in situations where absolute position references such as GNSS are not available.
The article covers:
- Why non-quantum-based sensors may lose position accuracy over time
- The early history of quantum theory
- What interferometry is and how it is applied to quantum mechanics
- The challenges involves in developing quantum sensor technology
- How fusing the outputs from quantum sensors with classical MEMS, FOG or RLG inertial sensors can help overcome these challenges
- The future of quantum sensor technology for applications such as high-grade navigation
To find out more about how quantum-based approaches could be used to develop the next generation of inertial sensors, read the full article here.