Sparton Navigation and Exploration, a business unit of Sparton Corporation, has released the AHRS-M2 – a next generation Attitude Heading Reference System (AHRS) that delivers industry leading heading accuracy. The AHRS-M2 is a fully temperature compensated, micro-sized, light weight, low power AHRS product with a revolutionary built-in adaptive-calibration mode.
Sparton AdaptCalTM utilizes a proprietary calibration algorithm that provides continuous, automatic, 3D adaptive in-field calibration with hard and soft magnetic interference compensation. Instead of requiring the traditional, and complex, “12-point” calibration, the AHRS-M2 learns while in use, continuously calibrating the platform’s magnetic properties.
The AHRS-M2 is ideal for SWaP-C requirements as it weighs 12.3 grams in a small form factor and has a low power consumption of 60 mW and using only 16 mW in Sleep Mode.
Also new with the AHRS-M2 are the state-of-the-art AdaptNav IIITM sensor fusion algorithms that allow the system to provide accurate attitude and heading outputs. This feature includes full 360° tilt compensation in real-time even when subject to highly dynamic operating environments and transient magnetic interference.
“The AHRS-M2 is a game changer,” said Jim Lackemacher, Group Vice President of the Engineered Components and Products Segment. “No other MEMS-based inertial sensor system provides the accuracy and performance in this size and weight. But it’s the adaptive-calibration capability that is truly revolutionary and we’re excited to be at the forefront of this advance in technology.”
Features of AHRS-M2:
- AdaptCalTM provides continuous, automatic, 3D adaptive in-field calibration with hard and soft magnetic interference compensation
- Integrated AdaptNav III™ provides real-time noise characterization and active gyro drift compensation for superior heading, pitch, and roll performance in electrically and mechanically noisy environments
- Static Heading Accuracy, 0.2° RMS
- Small form factor, weighs 12.3g
- Very low power consumption, 60 mW, and Sleep Mode functionality, 16 mW
- Powerful user programmable sensor customization apps via NorthTek™ Forth interpreter
- High resolution, low noise magnetometers
- Advanced sensing technology (tri-axial magnetometers and MEMS accelerometers and gyroscopes)
- Magnetic and True North heading, pitch, and roll measurement
- Full 360° rollover capability using quaternions or rotation matrix
- “Figure of Merit” real time heading error indicator
- In-field calibration point selection and distribution indicator
- Quality of in-field calibration indicator
- Centripetal acceleration correction
- Supports multiple communication protocols
Visit www.spartonnavex.com for additional product information.